Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Things She Asked

You know, women have this knack of asking flat out weird question at the most inapropriate times. Okay, I don't want to go around generalizing things so I'll rephrase my previous sentence.

You know, my girlfriend has this knack of asking flat out weird question at the most inapropriate times. There. Now stop the gender-harrassment complains...

Last Friday, I was halfway through my regular breakfast diet i.e.,bubur ayam, which was pretty good by the way, when my lovely girlfriend sent me a short message: do you believe in everlasting love?

I was composing the answer in my mind (saying as delicately as possible: no, I don't believe it) when the second message came in: if i died, would you go and find someone to replace me? (my dear, i'm afraid i will do just that)

Gone was the delicious bubur ayam and in its place I had this inexplicable dillema to deal with.

It was like going back to elementary school days when instead of multiple choices, you had this 1000-word essay to write.

I was thorn between answering with the truth that would inevitable devastate her or telling her what she wanted to hear. Or there's a third option: I could go Chikidu's Academy of Saying the Right Things and come up with a fabulous, sweet-sounding, diplomatic answer.

Why? Why? Why? Why do these things need to be questioned? Why bother with the what ifs and the absurdly abstract concept of love? Why can we let things happen just the way it is?

Let's look at the first question. Although the question is forwarded in the most general manner, I have this strong suspicion that what she's asking was "Are you in love with me everlastingly?". Everlasting represents an unforeseenable stretch of time starting from the current and lasts through the future. Will I love her tommorow? I don't know! I don't even know if I'll still be breathing tommorow. How about a year from now? Well, I don't know. Lots of things can happen between now and then. The best I can come up with is; I will do what I can to love you now, tommorow, next year and the following period of time. As if you need an effort to love someone else...

The second questions deals with a what-if situation. There are people who remain single after their spouse died. But I guess that's because they couldn't find anyone with whom they can share their feelings with. In the event that such person is found, it is in a very high likelihood that they will remarry.
So, if I find that i'm capable of loving someone else after she died, there's a fat chance that I will remarry.

Is it possible to explain all of this via short messages? Nope
How about over the phone? Doubtful.
I packed my bags and caught a train to Semarang.

No comments: