Monday, January 28, 2008

The Fallen Flowers

(originally Ismail Marzuki's Gugur Bunga)

How could my heart not be grieved
My hero has fallen
How could my heart not be sorrowed
I am now left all alone

Who shall now ease my pains
to remain faithful and gentle
Who shall now be the champion of my heart
the true defender of our nation

My hero has fallen
The oath has been fulfilled
Where one fell, thousands will rise
to the glory of our motherland

I must admit that the translation is nowhere near the original in its ability to evoke that eerie feeling associated with its every rendition. But, anyway, fare thee well General...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might know that eerie feeling you associated with. Yes, I feel it, too, everytime this very song reaches my hearing system. All hail G30S/PKI the movie! I wonder if such DVD exists anywhere near the Glodok-Ambassador-Ratu Plaza golden triangle. Really, it would make a great gift for any possible occasions: from birthday, wedding, baby shower, to the upcoming Valentine's Day.

Eko Widyasmoro said...

and T-Shirt with :

..darah itu merah, Jenderal...

written on it

:D :D :D