Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Bubur Ayam Rant

Yes, madams. I'm fully aware that given the fact that bubur ayam does consist of at least seven different condiments, you as the purchasers of the said bubur ayam reserve the right to customize its content to your liking. I understand your distaste of fried soybeans and why you want to remove them altogether from your serving. I understand the underlying economic principle that drives you to ask the bubur vendor for additional bitternut chips and shredded chicken as a compensation for the removal of fried soybeans. I understand the health concern behind your demand that the aforementioned shredded chicken be free of skin. However, it's a bit ironic bearing in mind your request for liver and intestines satay, isn't it? I vaguely understand why you want the chopped celery be separated from the chopped shallot although they have been traditionally mixed by the vendor. I understand why you want the tapioca cracker be crushed, while the bitternut chips left whole. I totally agree that kecap manis should be used sparingly while that yellow sauce should be sprayed liberally. I understand why you want the sambal be placed before the soy sauce. I understand why you insist that the fried shallot flakes be sprinkled thoroughly rather than be stacked at the centre. I understand that you and all of your three colleagues have different taste and the content variation of your orders should be adjusted accordingly. And logically, I agree with you that bearing in mind the complexity of your orders, the vendor needs to be reminded over and over and over and over again.

What I don't understand is how you and your friends have the heart to do all this when it's nearly 7.30 in the morning and the line is a fucking mile long and you're not even in it!

No comments: